Monday, June 23, 2008

Famous Shakespeare Quotes

"To be, or not to be" and "O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?" and "We are such stuff as dreams are made of..." represent some of the most celebrated and well recognized lines in literature. If asked to recite some of Shakespeare's work most people would be able to recite these or the ones that follow.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III).

"This above all: to thine own self be true". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III).

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him". - (Act III, Scene II).

"But, for my own part, it was Greek to me". - (Act I, Scene II).

"The course of true love never did run smooth". - (Act I, Scene I).

Then there are the more obscure yet equally memorable lines, such as these:

"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall". - Measure for Measure (Act II, Scene I).

"The miserable have no other medicine but only hope". - Measure for Measure (Act III, Scene I).

"All the world 's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts" - As You Like It (Act II, Scene VII).

"Blow, blow, thou winter wind! Thou art not so unkind as man's ingratitude". As You Like It (Act II, Scene VII).

"Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows." The Tempest (Act II, Scene. II).

For other Shakepeare quotes go here.

Coming tomorrow: Thomas de Quincey's The Knocking at the Gate in Macbeth.

No comments: