Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Frustration of Jonah

Christopher Johnson, host of Midwest Conservative Journal, writes amazing humor. Here is one on Jonah's frustrating task (to which all right-believing Anglicans can relate!)

"Jonah?"

"Yes, LORD."

"It approaches the end of forty days and the Ninevites have not repented. Prepare to leave the city before..."

"Listen, LORD, about that. How hard-and-fast is that forty day time limit?"
"Hard. And fast."

"The Ninevites were wondering if they could get an extension."

"A what?"

"An extension. More time."

"Why?"

"Well, frankly, LORD, and I mean this with the greatest respect, you know that. I mean, anybody that can create a fish just to swallow me up has got it going on, you know what I'm saying? But forty days is nowhere near time enough for Nineveh to repent."

"Help me out here, Jonah. I know that I, YHWH, am only the Creator of the entire universe and everything in it. But it seems to me that if I, YHWH, the Creator of the entire universe and everything in it, tell you to repent, you either do or you don't. Up or down."

"LORD, it's way more complicated than that. Here, it takes a lot longer."

"Once again. Why?"

"For one thing, the Nineveh Commission isn't anywhere close to finishing its work."

Read it all here.

No comments: