Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ed Pacht's Latest Chapbook

Ed Pacht has compiled another wonderful chapbook with the title Visions. I'm reading through the pages now and will post some of the poems that appear there with Ed's permission. Here is one that delights the heart of this nature lover! This one was written by Ed's "little sister" who is 63 years old.

Have you ever?
By Virginia Cote

Have you ever patted a Red Squirrel or
held a Chipmunk? Have you ever talked
with a White Tailed Deer for twenty
minutes? Have you ever seen a
Pileated Woodpecker take his turn, with
his mate, to sit on their precious eggs?
Have you ever seen a Chipmunk carry
three peanuts at once?

I have.

Have you ever watched a Nuthatch tuck
a sunflower seed into the bark of a
tree? Have you ever studied a Crow’s
nest up close? Have you ever heard the
snap of twigs and looked up to see a
Moose leaving the trail to avoid you?
Have you ever had a Chippy watch you
work and then inspect your job?

I have.

Have you ever seen a clear foot print of a Bear
that just snuck out of sight? Have you ever had
Chipmunks lead you to the next feed station?
Have you ever seen a Blue Jay with a bald head,
then found out it was a juvenile in molt?
Have you ever followed a Chipmunk home to his hole?

I have.

Have you ever watched a Red Squirrel
chase others out of his territory? Have you ever seen
a Raccoon return to her nest and her baby greet her?
Have you ever seen a full body print of a Red Squirrel
perfectly left in the snow on the trunk of a tree?
Have you ever watched Turkeys mate?

I have.

Have you ever seen Fox, Crow or Deer tracks?
Have you ever watched the Chippies and Squirrels run
along the Critter Highways? Have you ever watched
a woodpecker start at the bottom of a tree and work his way up,
hunting for bugs? Have you ever heard a Nuthatch’s quiet voice?

I have.

Have you ever hand fed a Squirrel or felt a Chippy’s tiny foot?
Have you ever said, “Good Morning” to a crow?
Have you ever seen a bird’s wing imprinted in the snow
and wonder what went on?
Have you ever seen a little Titmouse carry a peanut off?

I have.

Have you ever seen the squirrel tunnels made under the snow?
Have you ever been scolded by a red squirrel? Have you ever
snuck up on a Buck ever so slowly to see how close you could get
and once discovered have him snort and stamp his foot at you
before he leaps away. Have you ever had a Turkey fly over your head?

I have.

Have you ever discovered a Porcupine’s den?
Have you ever watched a squirrel eat the nuts from a pine cone?
Have you ever scared a deer off and then waited
for it to come back just to get one more peek?
Have you ever spotted the eyes of a deer
through the thick forest?

I have.

I walk my trails every day and watch nature.
I learn something new every day.
I smile and know the thrill of discovery.
I love the trust I get from my woodland friends.
Have you ever walked in the woods just for the joy of it?

I have.

2 comments:

poetreader said...

I love my baby sister's prose poem too. This is, of course, only the first two of nine paragraph/stanzas. The rest is just as wonderful as what you see.

ed

poetreader said...

I see the rest of the poem is now there. Isn't it a good piece!

ed