Monday, November 9, 2009

Great Opening Lines

Here are some of my favorites:

Peter Seaburg lived in a flat without a kitchen. "Kitchens make you fat," he said. - Ruth Rendell, The Copper Peacock

If I should die, think only this of me: That there's some corner of a foreign field that is forever England. - Rupert Brooke, The Soldier

Midway in our life's journey, I went astray from the straight road and woke to find myself alone in a dark wood. - Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy, Inferno

In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the river Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster. - Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean. - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

No comments: