Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Quote of the Week - Dorothy Sayers


I remember, years ago, being engaged in correspondence with a young man who was extremely enthusiastic about the psychology of the unconscious, and who insisted that the urge which issued in the writing of a story about a murder and the urge which issued in committing of a murder were one and the same, with no difference between them. I was writing murder-stories at the time and may have been prejudiced, but I objected that it did seem to me as though there must be a slight difference of some kind somewhere, since the results were so different. I added that society in general must be aware of the difference, since it rewarded the one result with royalties and the other with the gallows.--Dorothy L. Sayers (Introductory Papers on Dante, p. 4)

Other posts about Dorothy L. Sayers:

Dorothy Sayers' Wisdom
Dorothy Sayers: A Mind of Her Own
Last Morning in Oxford
The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers



No comments: