Friday, April 19, 2019

Eternal Love Shines from Calvary



THE LOVE OF CALVARY

Oh, Jesus, high upon the cross
What agonies you had to bear.
For all our sakes, you suffered there
That we might live, despite your loss.


Your love eternal shines on all,
Although 'twas gained by hate and gall.
Dear Lord, my tears, shed for your pain
Reflect my gratitude, my gain.


How will I ever let you know
How much I care, how much I owe?
My shallow prayers reveal my heart,
And deep within, true love impart.


--Sue Smith


This poem was written after reading "Contemplating The Cross" by Tricia McCary Rhodes. Calvary is the Latin name for the place where Jesus was crucified on Good Friday. The place is also called "Golgotha" and means place of the Skull. This was a rocky outcropping immediately outside Jerusalem's walls where felons were executed by crucifixion. 


No comments: