Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Learn to Write by Writing

 


Dr. Alice C. Linsley

Writing is not for faint hearts, shallow minds, or the nihilist whose thoughts trail into oblivion. This work is not for the eternal pessimist whose disparagement of life brings ultimate deafness.

Writing thoughtfully is a prolonged endeavor that requires charting one's inner frontiers. To the north are my hopes of a better life and a bright aspiration to put away grievance and fear. I know that place by inner sight; the smells and moods. I have scouted the land, marked it and breathed in its freshness. An old oak, with a thick and twisted trunk, stands sentinel on the slope. Because I am acquainted with this place I am able to bring my readers here through carefully chosen words.

The best writing is thoughtful, reflective and focused on things that matter. At best, it also entertains. If we write only to entertain, we continue the cycle of shallow writing. Writers must write with the brain and spend more time in creative reflection.

In the end, writing is a craft that must be developed by writing. There is no way around it. You must write to develop your skill and your individual style.

C. S. Lewis wrote, "Write about what really interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else. (Notice this means that if you are interested only in writing you will never be a writer, because you will have nothing to write about . . .)”

Ray Bradbury has this to say: "You can’t learn to write in college. It’s a very bad place for writers because the teachers always think they know more than you do—and they don’t. They have prejudices. They may like Henry James, but what if you don’t want to write like Henry James? They may like John Irving, for instance, who’s the bore of all time. A lot of the people whose work they’ve taught in the schools for the last thirty years, I can’t understand why people read them and why they are taught. The library, on the other hand, has no biases. The information is all there for you to interpret. You don’t have someone telling you what to think. You discover it for yourself." -from a 2010 interview with Sam Weller, published in The Paris Review.

Write because you love it. Don't burden yourself with worries about being published. Kurt Vonnegut recalls an experience from his youth that taught him to embrace writing for the enjoyment rather than the achievement.

“When I was 15, I spent a month working on an archeological dig. I was talking to one of the archeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes.

And he went WOW. That’s amazing! And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”
And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: "I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them."

And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them.”


No comments: