Friday, May 2, 2008

Spanish Short Story: A dog named Lucky



The following short story was written by one of my Spanish II students at Midway College. It appears with the English translation below.


Mi Perro Afortunado
Sheila Holsclaw

Mi madre y yo andábamos enfrente de la tienda de mascotas rumbo a casa. Veníamos del supermercado. En el escaparate, había un perrito precioso de color blanco con manchas negras. El perrito ladraba y coleaba.

Dije a mi madre que yo quería ese perro y ella me sorprendió cuando
me dijo sí. Yo lo nombré “Afortunado.” El parece exactamente como el perro “Afortunado” en la película 101 Dalmatians.

Durante el regreso a casa pensaba en todos los hechos que yo le enseñaría a Afortunado. Por supuesto mi madre me dijo que el perro sería mi responsibilidad. Yo limpiaría el excremento que el perro deja en la casa o en la yarda. No me importaba porque quería tanto a mi perro.

Afortunado era tan divertido. En una semana le enseñé a hablar, darse la mano, y darse la vuelta. Próximo, le enseñaré a saltar por un aro. Es un perro hábil y le amo mucho.

Tuve Afortunado para dos semanas cuando él y yo estábamos en un lío. Yo olvidé poner el perrito en el patio detrás de la casa antes de ir a la escuela. Cuando mi madre y yo llegamos a casa por la tarde, descubrimos que Afortunado había destruído la sala. La ropa estuvo despersada por todas partes, y la lámpara estuvo en el suelo. La planta de mi madre se había volcada y las hojas y tierra estuvieron derremadas por toda la alfombra. Afortunado había hecho unos huecos en el sofá y varias almohadas se habían rendida a trisas.

Ay! Mamá estaba furiosa. Yo estaba triste porque la culpa era mía. Después de seis meses de entrenamiento Afortunado se hizo bien portado. Afortunado estaba para hacer algo que le ganaría su nombre.

Mamá planeó un picnic y me dijo que podía llevar Afortunado con nosotros al lago. Me emocionaba. El día hacía sol y calor. Yo fui a nadar tan pronto como salté del coche. Afortunado se quedó con Mamá mientras ella arreglaba la comida en la manta.

Yo no pagaba atención y nadé demasiado lejos de la orilla. Yo comencé a gritar ¡Socorro! ¡Socorro! Antes de saber lo que pasaba, Afortunado estuvo a mi lado, ayudándome. Yo agarré a Afortunado y él me arrastró a la orilla. Mama lloró y se rió y me daba abrasos y a Afortunado también. Ella nos dijo que nos quería mucho y consideró el nombre "Afortunado" ser perfecto para él. Ella se sonrié y me dijo que estaba feliz que yo había escogido este perrito de la tienda de mascotas. Afortunado es una parte especial de nuestra familia.


My Dog "Lucky"
Sheila Holsclaw

My Mom and I were walking by the pet shop on the way home. We were coming from the supermarket. In the display window was a cute white puppy with black spots. He was barking and wagging his tail.

I told Mom that I wanted the dog and she surprised me when she said "yes" to me. I named him Lucky. He looks exactly like Lucky in the 101 Dalmatians movie.

On the way home I thought about all the neat tricks I would teach Lucky. Of course Mom told me that the dog would be my responsibility. I'd have to clean the mess that the puppy leaves in the house or yard. It didn' matter to me because I loved my puppy so much.

Lucky was so much fun. In one week I taught him to speak, shake hands and roll over. Next I’ll teach him to jump through a hoop. He's a smart dog and I love him alot.

I had Lucky for only two weeks before he and I were in trouble. I forgot to put Lucky in the backyard before I went to school. When Mom and I arrived home in the afternoon, we discovered that Lucky had wrecked the living room. Clothes were all over the floor, the lamp was lying on the floor. Mom’s plant was turned over and leaves and dirt were all over the carpet. Lucky had even chewed holes in the couch and several pillows had been shredded.

Boy! Mom was furious. I was sad because I was to blame. After six more months of training, Lucky became well behaved. Lucky was about to live up to his name.

Mom planned a picnic and said I could take Lucky with us to the lake. I was so excited. The day was sunny and warm. I went swimming as soon as I jumped out of the car. Lucky stayed with Mom while she arranged all the food on the blanket.

I wasn’t paying attention and swam too far from the shore. I started to yell “Help, Help”. Before I knew what was happening, Lucky was at my side, helping me. I grabbed hold of Lucky and he pulled me to the shore. Mom cried and laughed and hugged me and Lucky too. She told us she loved us and that Lucky’s name was perfect for him. She smiled and said she was glad I had picked out this dog at the pet store. Lucky is a special part of our family.



7 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Sheila, I love this story. Dog lovers will enjoy reading it too.

Anonymous said...

Sheila,

The story was very well done, in both languages.

Please let me know if you write another.

Anonymous said...

Thank You Sheila,

I am learning Spanish for the first year and this has helped me improve on my Spanish skills.

Dane

Alice C. Linsley said...

Dane,

There are many Spanish short stories at this site. Search the INDEX (List of Topics). They will be listed under Short Stories. Some have the word 'Spanish' and others have Spanish words like 'A Causa de mi Padre'. Also read stories by Kelsy Lamb and Victoria Bastin.

Unknown said...

Hi! I just wanna know how could I read this even if I don't have skills in reading spanish words like this? Thank you

Alice C. Linsley said...

Allen, Many people are unable to read this Spanish story. That is why the English is provided below the Spanish version.

As to developing skill in Spanish. it requires practice and paying attention to details.

Anonymous said...

I just read this story to my Special needs Spanish student. She loved it! I also read her the English version.
Thank you for your great heart warming story!!
A teacher in California!