Monday, April 15, 2013

Use Poetry to Teach Parts of Speech


Why not use poetry to teach parts of speech?  Many students learn best this way because verse engages them.

What follows is a creative writing teacher's model used to practice the differences between the adverb, adjective and noun clause.



God’s Rain
By Hope Ellen Rapson


When I gaze through windows on a rainy day
        which seems to fill my whole world with
                tears shed by God just for me,
                        I pray.

Where is the gray cloud of sin inside my soul
        which causes You, God, to singly send
                the pattering puddles I see?
                        I ask.

Because I question my self-centered heart
        Which often fogs or blurs heaven’s answer,
                “Only grace and mercy fall here,”
                        I trust.            


No comments: