Friday, March 13, 2015

Pride Halts Progress

The infinitely little have a pride infinitely great.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Andrew Calvert (Grade 11)

A Lenten Meditation


Martin Heidegger's definition of clearing involves making space for something to fill the gap. Making a place for new growth. In my life there needs to be a clearing of pride to make room for knowledge. Foolishly believing that I know more than others covers the gaps or mysteries that invite investigation. This entails dealing with my pride, something that can halt intellectual development and philosophical progress.

Emerson was right when he said, "No man has ever had a point of pride that was not injurious to him."

Pride entails false conceptions of truth, or knowledge only on the surface level. Pride too often emphasizes these superficial truths rather than meaningful questions. Socrates recognized the necessity of humility when he said "I know nothing." Aristotle said, "All men, by nature, desire to know." 

If I desire to know, and live in accordance with one attribute of my nature, I must exercise humility. Based on the thoughts of these wise philosophers, I conclude that the clearing I need involves my pride. I must deal with this in order to clearly see deficiencies in my knowledge, and to further personal inquiry.


No comments: